headquarters in Taiwan and five regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development
programs that contribute to realize the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. For
more information please visit our website
WorldVeg, with its treasure of the world's largest vegetable germplasm col ection in the public domain and with
breeding and plant protection research programs in dif erent parts of the world, is wel -placed to develop improved
cultivars with traits for tolerance to biotic and abiotic stresses, enhanced shelf life, and improved nutrient content
and health promoting qualities.
WorldVeg is in the midst of modernizing its research infrastructure and evolving into an 'Open Science Center' that
wil enable strengthened col aboration with advanced research institutions, universities and private sector. As part
of this development, the Center has an ambitious plan to research, develop and introduce sustainable disease
management approaches for ecological intensification of smal holder vegetable production systems.
WorldVeg seeks a Plant Pathologist to join its on-going research for developing and implementing disease
management strategies, that are economical, environmental y safe and sustainable. The position wil be based at
WorldVeg headquarters in Shanhua, Tainan, Taiwan and within the Safe and Sustainable Value Chains Program.
Key job responsibilities:
● Provide scientific leadership and build partnerships in Vegetable Pathology, with an emphasis on integrated
disease management programs in tropical Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
● Lead, col aborate and conduct laboratory, greenhouse and field experiments on screening of germplasm and
breeding populations for resistance/tolerance in vegetables and legumes to virus diseases.
● Carry out research and development activities in biological control, induced resistance and molecular
approaches in the management of virus diseases in vegetables and legumes.
● Develop seed health testing methods and conduct Pest Risk Assessments.
● Supervise a team of dedicated staf , students and co-workers at WorldVeg regional centers and at
● Enhance the capacity of partners in developing and promoting integrated disease management approaches.
● Actively interact and col aborate with other research programs (internal y and external y) to develop,
implement and lead innovative Vegetable Pathology R&D activities.
● Contribute to project management, reporting and resource mobilization.
● Perform any other duties as required by the needs of the Center.
Qualifications and experience:
● PhD degree in plant pathology, or plant protection with specialization in virology and with 5 - 10 years of
demonstrated relevant experience in working with vegetable and/or legume diseases as wel as seed
pathogens, especial y viruses.
● Experience in molecular diagnostics and characterization of virus and viroid pathogens.
● Familiarity with phytosanitary requirements and pest risk assessment wil be an advantage.
● Experience in initiating experiments, experimental design, execution of experimental plans and analyzing
● Strong track record of proposal writing, project management and publishing in peer-reviewed journals.
● Fluency in spoken and writ en English, with good and effective communication skil s.
● Team player, able to work in a multicultural environment and able to interact ef ectively with partners.
The Reward: This is an International y Recruited Staff (IRS) position with competitive pay and benefits. The
appointment is for three years. The position wil be available after July 2021.
How to Apply: Applicants should submit a let er of application explaining their suitability for and interest in the
position along with a curriculum vitae, a recent passport size photograph, names and addresses (including
World Vegetable Center